INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  LICENSED BUSINESS LAWYER
11313492

My employer charges part-time employees more for health care

My employer charges part-time employees more for health care insurance than full time employees. But they do not differentiate between 24, 30, or 36 hour part-time employees. Is that legal in the state of VA
It would be legal if the insurance plan has a higher premium. You can confirm so with the HR rep and also with the insurer or insurer broker directly to find out the reason for the difference.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Am I to understand your reply is that if the Insurer charges more for part-time employees? If so, why would that be legal?
That is correct. If for example, your plan is more expensive and carries a higher premium, that would be one reason. The employer may also offer notwithstanding a better benefits package/contribution to full time employees.