Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own successful business/contract law practice.

Is it legal for the South Dakota State Board of Dentistry to

Is it legal for the South Dakota State Board of Dentistry to make it illegal to use/sell/dispense teeth whitening products that are FDA approved for home use? I would think that a mall kiosk would be far safer than just sending it home to use without someone who has done the procedure themselves. I would like to set up a mall teeth whitening in Sioux Falls, SD.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Yes, it is legal for the Board of Dentistry to control items that are FDA approved and deal with dental services. Since teeth whitening has been a traditionally dental procedure which dentists perform, the SDSBD is able to license, control, and deny the rights to non-dentists to practice or perform such procedures, as a means to protect the consumers, but really to also maintain a legal monopoly as well.

Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.