J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced and trained in the area of business law.

Have a question about a company whose product I purchased and

Customer Question

Have a question about a company whose product I purchased and I have refused to take their software subscription becuase of cost and have paid them for support on their product which cost us $50,000.00. They are now threatening to not provide support for their product (hourly basis) unless I take on their
yearly subscription which is expense. They are based in Littleton Ma and I am
based out of NY City. This machine is a Pslam Cutter and I do not alway need support with this product. The cost to have support is fesible on as per needed basis. Is there any law that can protect us with this situation.
Vicki Cottam
Category: Business Law
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 6 years ago.

Unless the support you need is related to a defect in the product, there isn't a general law that requires a company to provide ongoing support for their product. The marketplace is depended on to sort such issues out (e.g. customers will go to the company that provides the better product and service).

This is, unfortunately, a situation where there is not a legal remedy.

However, if I were in your shoes, one suggestion I would consider would be to look for an individual who does have the experience with the product with whom you might be able to consult with on an as-needed basis. Online forums specific to your industry, even Craigslist, could be places where you might be able to locate or advertise for such an individual.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know, if you have follow-up questions.

The information is provided for discussion and entertainment purposes only. I believe in helping people and answering their questions and providing information and solutions. To encourage and facilitate this practice, it is understood and agreed by the recipient that by opening, reading, accepting, and viewing this information, no attorney-client relationship has been discussed, agreed to or otherwise established. It is understood that by posting to this site, your information is made public and no attorney-client confidence is created or possible.

In legal matters, time is of the essence. As such, you should contact an experienced lawyer right away to protect your legal rights!

I appreciate your "Accepting" my answer if it has been helpful to you. Doing so allows me to continue helping in this manner. Thank you.