Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.
17027240

I paid $5,500 ( cash and credit card) to the owner of a collision

I paid $5,500 ( cash and credit card) to the owner of a collision repair shop last September (have all the receipts) to obtain and rebuild a 2001 Volvo. Three months later, the owner advised he could not address some electrical issues and would refund me my entire payment. To date, I have not received payment. I’ve left numerous voice mail messages and have sent certified letters requesting full payment. How should I proceed?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.

Good evening. Since this guy will not respond to you voluntarily, you have no choice but to file a claim against him. Since the Illinois small claims court limit is $10,000, you can bring your suit in small claims court....these courts are designed for cases just such as yours and are set up to be used without a lawyer. After you win your judgment, you can then move to collect your judgment by attaching assets (including bank accounts).

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

How do I go about setting this up? Should I pay a lawyer to handle? Can I also sue for interest?

Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.

You would go to the local small claims court and fill out a claim form...they are very simple and straightforward...and if you do have a question, the folks that work there are very helpful. You will not need to hire a lawyer for this....these courts are set up to be used by people like yourself and designed to be used without lawyers. Yes, you can also ask for interest.

Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.
Hi there. I just wanted to make sure you felt I completely answered your question. I want you to be fully satisfied with your experience with JustAnswer.