Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

I paid multiple invoices in early 2008, totaling approx $28,000,

I paid multiple invoices in early 2008, totaling approx $28,000, and the checks were never cashed. The company went out of business in March 2008. In early 2009, I received communication from another company - stating that they were successors and asking that I re-issue the checks. I re-issued 4 of them,and only 1 was cashed.
I then received correspondence from an attorney, stating that the checks had been refused by the bank due to insufficient funds and demanding full payment or be taken to court. No proof was subitted to support those statements, and I was not notified by the bank of any problems.
Is there a time limit for acceptance of payment?
Am I obliged to ontinue issuing checks that do not get accepted for deposit to this company's bank?
Should I be requesting a copy of the successor paperwork before I proceed further?
BotXXXXX XXXXXne is you are liable for the money if the prior company never cashed the checks. You need to start by checking your accounts to make sure whether or not they were cashed. If they were not, the successor company is entitled to collect and you need to get proof they are the successor company and then you will need to make arrangements with them to pay the debt, but it would be owed if the checks were not cashed. There is no time limit for acceptance of payment, if you owe it you owe it and even though you sent the checks, if they were not cashed (evidently because this business was pretty incompetent) you still must make good on the payment.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”