How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard - Bizlaw Your Own Question
Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 9641
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Richard - Bizlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In 2002 I invested money with a company in WA. They gave me

Customer Question

In 2002 I invested money with a company in WA. They gave me a stock certificate for an LLC along with the operating agreement, and that is all I got. I was under the age of 21.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 6 years ago.

Can you be more specific as to your legal question, please?




The information is provided for discussion and entertainment purposes only. I believe in helping people and answering their questions and providing information and solutions. To encourage and facilitate this practice, it is understood and agreed by the recipient that by opening, reading, accepting, and viewing this information, no attorney-client relationship has been discussed, agreed to or otherwise established. It is understood that by posting to this site, your information is made public and no attorney-client confidence is created or possible.


In legal matters, time is of the essence. As such, you should contact an experienced lawyer right away to protect your legal rights!


I appreciate your "Accepting" my answer if it has been helpful to you. Doing so allows me to continue helping in this manner. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry, was not done posting the question. There was a JA glitch. See below:

In 2002 I invested money with a company in WA. They gave me a stock certificate for an LLC along with the operating agreement, and that is all I got. I was under the age of 21. About 6 months later, they formed a new corporation and quietly pretended the LLC didn't exist. This new corporation was exactly the same as the LLC, but it was owned by another corporation of theirs.

They made remarks how I would make lots of money, and being young and naive I went along. Just recently I found out the LLC was never a registered business. They registered a tradename with "LLC" in it (which I don't think you can do), and had it correspond to another business in their tradename filling (which dissolved in 2005). They represented the LLC was freestanding and never disclosed any information in regards XXXXX XXXXX The stock was issued in the tradname.

In 2005 they handed me a stock certificate for the parent corporation (which owned the Corp identical to the LLC) and told me that would take care of my investment from 2002 and not to worry about anything. Again, this is all I got and I never received any notices or got to attend shareholder meetings etc.

Years later they have sold the parent corp and subsidiary corp. I received less than half my money back, since the parent corp had a small redemption in the sale. The subsidiary corp (which again was identical to the original LLC I invested in, where I should have got stock) had a much larger redemption and I would have made money instead of losing money had I been give stock here.

Is this securities fraud? What other claims might I have?

Have the statue of limitations expired for me to bring action? 21.20.430(4)(b)

Most of this information I have just recently found out about within the past year. Not only do I want my money back (and more) but I would like to see some justice, since these companies conned a lot of investors and creditors.
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 6 years ago.
I'm going to have to opt out as I don't have experience in securities law. I will forward your question to an expert who does.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Great! Thank you. I will still keep in in mind if further assistance is needed.
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 6 years ago.
What information did you find out within the last year? When did you find out about the LLC not being in operation? When did you get the stock in the corporation? What was told to you when you got the stock in the corporation?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Within the last year I found out that the LLC I originally received a stock certificate in, was just a trade name with LLC in it. The trade name did correspond to another LLC that was dissolved in 2005. But I don't think you can represent a company as a free standing LLC, and issue stock under a trade name.

I know the supposed LLC that I got stock in, basically ceased to exist in 2005, because that is when I received a stock certificate in the parent corp and was told to not worry about anything. With all the outlandish promises that were made, I went along with it. But also within the last year, I found out that 6 months after I invested money in the LLC, they formed a new corporation to do exactly the same thing. So the supposed LLC I invested in, basically never did any business or operated as a business, and was basically insolvent from day one.

I have the stock certificate in the new crop since 2005. When I got the stock, I was just handed a stock certificate and was told that will take care of my investment from 2002. I did not receive bylaws or any company docs and never received notice or got to participate in a shareholder meeting.
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 6 years ago.
My concern about a claim is the statute of limitations. Where I think you are based served is a suit for breach of fiduciary duty and for fraudulent misrepresentation about where your funds were being imvested. It sounds as though they arranged things so that the bulk of the value was in a subsidiary. I suggest you look to retain an attorney who is familiar with corporate law. You should also contact other investors who find themselves in a similar situation as I suspect many of you have similar claims.

There are a lot of details that have to be developed. For example, if the subsidary had a redemption, then the parent should have received most of it since a subsidiary implies majority owned by the parent.

In summary you have claims. I think the most recent events involving the redemption is where your claim will primarily lie. You have earlier claims but I am concerned they may have been lost on the statute of limitations.

If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. I would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Dimitry K., Esq.

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Run my own successful business/contract law practice.
< Last | Next >
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Run my own successful business/contract law practice.
  • MShore Law's Avatar

    MShore Law


    Satisfied Customers:

    Drafted Negotiated and/or Reviewed Thousands of Commercial Agreements
  • RGMacEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    15 years practicing attorney, MBA
  • J.Hazelbaker's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced and trained in the area of business law.
  • MDLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience in business law, contract law and related matters.
  • J. Warren's Avatar

    J. Warren


    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience in general business transaction and formation matters.