J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced and trained in the area of business law.

My friend wants to start a dance studio. The Leasing Company/Landlord

My friend wants to start a dance studio.
The Leasing Company/Landlord wants someone to guarantee 12 months of rent ($60,000.)

My friend asked me to help.

So I plan to get a Line of Credit $60,000 against my home.

What if my friend got sick and could not run the studio, or if he die, (he is only 30 years of age)
will I have to pay all the rent that he will owe?

Can the Leasing Company go after more than $60,000 ?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 6 years ago.

If you are a guarantor and the principal defaults for whatever reason (sickness, death, business failure, etc.), then you would be directly responsible for any unpaid balance of the lease.

If you carefully crafted the guarantee to only cover unpaid rents, and not damages or liability issues (e.g. personal injury), then company could only pursue you for the unpaid rent.

Please let me know, if you have follow-up questions.

The information is provided for discussion and entertainment purposes only. I believe in helping people and answering their questions and providing information and solutions. To encourage and facilitate this practice, it is understood and agreed by the recipient that by opening, reading, accepting, and viewing this information, no attorney-client relationship has been discussed, agreed to or otherwise established. It is understood that by posting to this site, your information is made public and no attorney-client confidence is created or possible.

In legal matters, time is of the essence. As such, you should contact an experienced lawyer right away to protect your legal rights!

I appreciate your "Accepting" my answer if it has been helpful to you. Doing so allows me to continue helping in this manner. Thank you.