Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

I am a software developer. My customer is threatening to sue

Customer Question

I am a software developer. My customer is threatening to sue me as a result of a software application that is buggy and performing too slow.

How shoud I respond to my customer and what do I need to prepare to protect myself againts this lawsuit?

Please let me know if you need more information. Thank you for your kind assistance.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
The thing here is that if you developed the software you are liable for working out the bugs if they have paid you for the software. Thus, in order to defend against any suit you are going to have to prove that the bugs are not a result of your work and a result of something on the customer's computers or you will have to engage in negotiations with them to correct the problems.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”