Dear sir or madam, I have an outstanding balance owing to

Customer Question

Dear sir or madam,

I have an outstanding balance owing to the Washington State Dept. of Revenue for sales taxes. I filed chapter 7 a few months back, and my bankruptcy has been discharged. I no longer have the business that accumulated this debt, it folded with the bankruptcy. The balance owing to DOR is $3,838.74. I have contacted DOR to try to make payment arrangements, and they tell me that if the balance is not paid in full before the end of the month, they will issue a tax warrant. I don't have the funds to be able to pay it in full before this happens, but I can try to make payment arrangements. Can I expect DOR to work with me on payments, or are they just going to go in and garnish whatever they can find in my bank until the debt is paid? What are my options?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 7 years ago.
You should offer a payment plan and it will entertain a reduction in balance if you make a showing of financial harship. Reach out and negotiate with them or have a lawyer do so.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can we be more specific here?

What constitutes financial hardship in their eyes? What do I need to provide to them for this?

Am I at risk of getting my bank account drained here once they file the tax warrant? Do I actually have any leverage to negotiate anything with them? The answer you provided so far is not specific and elaborate enough for my concerns.
I want to send you to our tax experts for further comment who can provide their perspective.