socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

Ive created a program to automate the process of adding friend

Customer Question

I've created a program to automate the process of adding friend and sending messages to members of a social networking site. The messages that will be sent will be exactly what the owners of the site intended(no spam.. just compliments and messages indicating interest in working with the receiving member).

Addition informatino: My profile on the social networking site has a link back to my website where I'm selling the program, and my main picture has the link as well.

I'm 99% sure that the program doesn't make me liable under can-spam laws, but.. is there anything else I should legally be worried about? Is there anything I could be sued for?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 4 years ago.

If the software inadvertantly misdirects messages, then the result is unsolicited, so you may want to include an "unsubscribe" link in each response, to protect your sender, and derivatively, yourself, in case the software has an unknown bug.

Also, you may want to ensure that your proposed use is within that of the terms of service for the website, so that you are not in breach of contract with the service (you've probably already thought of this, but I figure I'll mention it).

I could get really ultra paranoid here and suggest that you could be sued for all manner of common law torts depending upon the sender's intent and use of the software and the injury to the recipient. But, that's why businesses puchase general liability insurance -- to broadly protect against what cannot be easily contemplated in advance. You can offset some of this liability by creating an LLC and assigning your product to that entity. Then, if you're sued, only the LLC can lose money. So, that's an possibly cost-effective option to insurance.

Or, you can just "go for it." The choice is yours.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.