socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

I currently own a business with License agreements with owners

I currently own a business with License agreements with owners in 12 states. We have signed agreements with royalties on sales, marketing, reporting, and non compete requirements. I am considering franchising and want to know if there are any signigicant advantages to a franchise versus a license agreement.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

Since a franchise agreement is nothing more than a comprehensive licensing agreement covering all aspects of the franchisee's business operations, except for the right to direct control over the means and method by which the franchisee conducts its business, I think that the answer is that you're already franchising your business.

This is the legal doctrine of "substance over form."

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.