MShore Law
MShore Law, Attorney
Experience:  Drafted Negotiated and/or Reviewed Thousands of Commercial Agreements
17924466

I am considering starting a Car Buying Service on the Internet

Customer Question

I am considering starting a Car Buying Service on the Internet that pre-arranges new car deals for customers before they go to the dealership to buy a car. There will be no up-front fee or deposit required, and if the customer is satisfied with his deal after he buys the car, he can then opt to pay a small fee for the service. Unlike a broker, this car buying service will not accept compensation of any kind from the dealership or from any third party, and obviously will not engage in buying and/or re-selling cars. It will simply be a service that obtains a quote from the dealership and passes it on to a customer who then conducts all his business at the dealership. The question is, would any type of special license be required to operate this type of business?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  MShore Law replied 7 years ago.
in what state would this business operate out of?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

California

so would your business be considered as a consulting service?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes, I suppose...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
hopefully you got my 2 replies to your info requests, so for now I am still awaiting your email answer......thank you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I replied to your info requests yesterday, and emailed you again today to see if you received them....now I am awaiting an answer....is it still forthcoming?
thank you fort he replies, I just received them. To answer your question there is no special license necessary for running this business as consultant service.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you for the prompt response....just for clarification, you're saying that I don't need a broker's license to do this (and you are keeping in mind that the Internet outreach for this type of service is national, right?) Please let me know, and then I am ready to accept you answer!
yes, so long as you operate as a consultant company, there is no license necessary.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the answer. Perhaps I will contact you when the time comes for the proper disclaimer to use for a car buying service. Thanks again.