Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

I had a sole proprietor business that I incorporated at the

Customer Question

I had a sole proprietor business that I incorporated at the beginning of 2009. I transferred all my equipment for use in this corporation. Am I supposed to "officially" transfer it to the corporation in some way? I don't want to get double taxed on it, preferably.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Did you incorporate as a C-corp or an LLC?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I incorporated as a S-corp and sent in my Form 2553 (sent registered and they received 1/27/09) but did not receive anything back showing it was accepted. I am supposed to be S-corp though.
All you need to do is a written document that states all of the property and assets of the SP were transferred to the S-corp and there is no tax liability since you have merely transferred ownership of your property to your own S-corp. This is not something that is a taxable event.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Just a quick follow-up. Does the written document need to detail all of the equipment and estimated worth?
No, you should just document an itemized list of the equipment that was transferred over to the corporation from the SP to be placed into the corporate records in case you decide you want to sell the S-corp at a later date there is a record of what is the property of the S-corp.