After working with my dad for 5 years in construction industry

After working with my dad for 5 years in construction industry as his foreman, I started my own DBA partnership business with my wife, and got my General contractors license under that partnership name. Can I start an LLC and bid on work using my license number from my DBA to protect me from any lawsuits?
What state is this in?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I live in California, and want to bid on public and private jobs. I probably should've incorporated first, and got my license for the corporation, knowing now that California doesn't give licenses to LLC's. But now that I already have a license for my partnership and paid all the fees and ready to bid, I just want to be safe from any lawsuits especially in my first year of business.
You need the license under the company you are operating under. Consider asking the licensing department to transfer it.