Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.

I have a contract to occupy space in a building. The people

I have a contract to occupy space in a building. The people I have a contract with would rather give me a cash! settlement so they do not have to remodel. I would sign a document at their attorneys office that gives up my rights to this space. The amount is only enough to get by on for the next 3 to 5 months till I find employment. However I do not want them or their attorney to be able to show someone eles how much they gave me. Does the document have to say how much they gave me ?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.

Hi there. You can handle this one of two ways...1) you could leave the amount out and simply say "for $10.00 and other good and valuable consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which is hereby acknowledged" -- if you do this, you would not want to sign the agreement until you have the money and a separate acknowledgement that this is the other good and valuable consideration; 2) you could include a confidentiality and non-disclosure provision in the agreement which prohibits either side from disclosing any of the terms of your agreement.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.