Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own successful business/contract law practice.
18572087

A company I worked for filed 3 1/2 years ago a lawsuit against

A company I worked for filed 3 1/2 years ago a lawsuit against me in which I signed a post non compete / stipulated settement agreement and final judgement. This agreement expires in a few days however the company sent approximately 3 weeks ago an e mail and letter to the attorney that represented me 3 1/2 years ago that they felt I was in viololation of the agreement and wanted me to go in for a deposition to find out what my activities have been during the agreement. In this regard they threatened to sue. I sent a letter to my attorney to forward to them which contained a general outline of my activities. my attorney advised that i was not required to go in for a deposition. Earlier this week I received an e mail from my attorney asking if I've been served which I haven't been. The agreement expires October 4th(Sunday) Is their a statue of limitations on this?
Your attorney is absolutely correct. Do not go for a deposition. Only respond if you have been served. Sit tight until the non-compete naturally expires, and then wait for them to bring suit (if they actually can). In Washington, the Statute of Limitations on contracts is 6 years, so the other party can conceivably file a breach action against you, but only if they have cause.

Sincerely,

Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 10/2/2009 at 9:07 PM EST