socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

My vehicle lease is ending, but the lessor (car dealership)

My vehicle lease is ending, but the lessor (car dealership) is out of business. The lease agreement states ".. that the property being leased may not have any equity or ownership value to me (lessee) at the end of the lease and that the leased property belongs to the lessor.

Stupid question: Who owns the vehicle after the lease?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

Usually, the "lender" owns the vehicle. However, if the lease actually is between you and the dealer (highly unlikely), then whomever purchased the dealer's contracts owns the vehicle.

In the event that the dealer filed a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, then the bankruptcy trustee would own the vehicle.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The dealer is in New Jersey; I since moved to New York. I have not gotten any notice as to who the new contract holder is---probably because of the move. I called the financing company (agent of the Lease Holder) and they sent me to my nearest dealership. I called and they cannot find the records but would like to sell me the car (for a commission?). How can they sell me a car they don't own? On the Leased Vehicle Registration, the lease holder is named. What is a lease holder?

No one can sell you a car that they don't own, because they don't own it!

The "lease holder" is the owner of the vehicle. That's who you must deal with.