Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years of professional experience

I am currently working for a medical device company. In my

Customer Question

I am currently working for a medical device company. In my spare time in the evenings and on weekends I have been developing a management company. The company focuses on physician practice management. I am very honest about developing my business on my own time. If I were to launch a website listing my services can I be fired? I would rather not make them aware of my company because that always casts doubt. I work very hard for them from 7am to 7pm Monday through Friday.

Thank you,

Category: Business Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 7 years ago.

You relationship with your employer is either at will or governed by a contract. Do you have an employment contract that speaks to whether you can have another job or business running at the same time? If you do, look at the terms of the contract and see what it calls for. If you do not have an employment contract, then you are employed at - will and the employer can choose to fire you with or without cause, so long as it is not based on race, religion, national origin, or gender.