Law Pro, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience in business law - sole proprietor, partnership, and corporations
11688690

I want to start a company that sells sportwear. I came up

I want to start a company that sells sportwear. I came up with the name and registered it in the state of NJ as a LLC. I want to have my own logo and slogan. I came up with the slogan and I found an image on the internet that I would like to use as my logo.
My questions are:
How do I get started in registering the logo & slogan? If I registered the business name in the state of NJ, but that business name exists in another state, could I still conduct business on the internet under that name? Could you point me in the direction to get started?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Pro replied 7 years ago.

First, that logo is alreay someone else's property - that would potentially be a copyright/trademark violation.

Second- did you think up the slogan or where did you come up with that?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

the logo is a clipart image that I believe is for sale. I emailed the clipart company that the image is shown on regarding that image, and am waiting to hear back. If the image is for sale, then I would have total rights over its use, yes?

The slogan I came up with completely on my own.

Expert:  Law Pro replied 7 years ago.

No, not necessarily. It would depend on what your license or purchase was of the clip-art picture. You will have to review just what rights, if any, you get as to the clip-art picture. The company may not grant you the right to use such as a logo.

As to the slogan - that's great.

My questions are: How do I get started in registering the logo & slogan? If I registered the business name in the state of NJ, but that business name exists in another state, could I still conduct business on the internet under that name? Could you point me in the direction to get started?

As to the slogan - you can register that as a "trademark".

Here is a link to an on-line company that will do such:

http://www.cummingsdesign.com/trademarks_service_marks.htm

As to the business name - yes you can still operate on-line or on the web with that name if your business is different that the other previously operated business. You should also register a domain name - Go Daddy.com is a great way to do such.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you Law Pro!!! This should get me started. If I have any additional questions, can I reach out to you as I go through the process?

And thanks again!