Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own successful business/contract law practice.
18572087

my question concerns my contract as an independent health/life

my question concerns my contract as an independent health/life insurance agent- I worked for a broker who I signed a contract that stated I was a "captive" agent for the Broker and my commission structure for the policies I sold was such- 60% for first 12 months, 50% the next 12, and so on... until it was 20% for the life of the policy. I have brought in numerous policies and have 5 pending approval after my 3 months with the broker. I have since resigned and he has not paid me a cent and declares he will not do so. What legal ground do I stand on? There was absolutely no mention that if I leave the company I am not entitled to ZIP!!
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Have you reviewed the contract? Was there an "escape" clause that if you leave, you forfeit any commission owed?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There was no such clause... It says simply that I'm a captive agent of the Broker and it lists my commission structure.
Then you can take the Broker to court for breach of contract. I hope you have a copy of your contracts, and what the Broker owes you in commission for the life of those contracts as you will have to bring proof and evidence that you did indeed fulfill your end of the agreement by providing clients who signed as requested, and that you are now entitled to your tail-end commission.

Sincerely,

Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.