INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  LICENSED BUSINESS LAWYER
11313492

Over a week ago I had an area plumbing service replace a leaky,

Customer Question

Over a week ago I had an area plumbing service replace a leaky, outside faucet on my home and found out that the $450 bill he charged me was over 4 times as high as what my parents were charged on their home, by a competing service. One can understand how I would be upset by this. This is a well-known service around the Omaha area, so I was especially appalled by this.
I have submitted a grievance letter to the owner of this company—I’m awaiting to hear a response from him as we speak.
I’m still trying to get a credit on the repair bill, for what it’s worth, and hope that they cooperate with me on this. In the mean time, I was contemplating other options.
I know that I’m negotiating from a point of weakness here, given how I signed the bill and paid with my credit card at the time the repair was completed.
If I were to dispute the transaction on my credit card, and not pay this portion on my card bill at the end of the month, what are the biggest legal ramifications they (the plu
Category: Business Law
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 7 years ago.
What state is this in and what is your question?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

This would be in Nebraska. Here's the question I listed in my previous statement:

If I were to dispute the transaction on my credit card, and not pay this portion on my card bill at the end of the month, what are the biggest legal ramifications they (the plumbing service) can use against me?

To my understanding, if I paid by check, and issued a stop payment on it, all they can do is issue a lien against my home, and I won't have to pay it until I put it up for sale, and my credit score won't be touched.

Is this accurate, or is there more I'm missing?

You can do that. The cc company would do a chargeback investigation. If you lose, the charge comes back on and you can choose to contest it again and you can choose to pay it and then sue and have the issue resolved in court. Contesting a charge on the credit card is legal and within the card company's terms and conditions.   
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What about the legal ramifications on a stop payment made on a check? Is a lien on my house the worse they can do to me in this state?
To stop payment on a check is serious since it can be used to sue by the creditor and even sent to the police and prosecutor to pursue charges. Often though if stopped due to a civil dispute the court wont hold it against you but not recommended.