Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

My wife & I are financially supporting several high school

Customer Question

My wife & I are financially supporting several high school graduates in Bosnia to attend college. These student are Bosnian, & who, with no other financial resources, would be unable to further their education.
We would like to know if it would be possible to set up a non-profit charitable organization so that we could send them & continue to support others to attend college?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
This would qualify as a charitable purpose and as such you could set up a non-profit charitable organization as an LLC to collect the money/donations and make the payments for their education. You would need to first form an LLC and declare the charitable purpose and then you would have to file for non-profit/charitable status with the IRS when you apply for your Tax ID number which you can do at

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”