N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience:  Since 1983
9653905

I want to begin a referendum on the Federal Government by limiting

Customer Question

I want to begin a referendum on the Federal Government by "limiting the Powers" that they (Federal Government) claim are solely its by their imposition of will upon the States and the citizens of this nation. I firmly believe that this can best be done by overturning (rescinding) the "17th Amendment" to the Constitution. What is the process that I, as a U.S. citizen, can do to get this National movement underway?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 7 years ago.
If you wanted to repeal the 17th amendment you would have to propose a new consitutional amendment to do that,

You could model it on the 21st amendment, see http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.amendmentxxi.html

Article V of the constitution prescribes the process of amendingit, see http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.articlev.html

http://www.law.cornell.edu/anncon/html/amdt17_user.html#amdt17_hd1 describes why the 17th amendment was adopted:

The ratification of this Amendment was the outcome of increasing popular dissatisfaction with the operation of the originally established method of electing Senators. As the franchise became exercisable by greater numbers of people, the belief became widespread that Senators ought to be popularly elected in the same manner as Representatives. Acceptance of this idea was fostered by the mounting accumulation of evidence of the practical disadvantages and malpractices attendant upon legislative selection, such as deadlocks within legislatures resulting in vacancies remaining unfilled for substantial intervals, the influencing of legislative selection by corrupt political organizations and special interest groups through purchase of legislative seats, and the neglect of duties by legislators as a consequence of protracted electoral contests.

I hope this information is helpful.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
N Cal Atty.:

This is not new to me. Isn't there a better way to get the public's attention to the concerns of the lack of understanding of our Constitution?

For some reason, there is not enough taught about our Constitution in school... whether in High School or College!!

To me, this disconnect about what the Founding Fathers envisioned versus what is going on in our Federal Government today has virtually no connection or relevance when "issues of individual Liberty and Freedom" have been reduced to economic slavery!

REVOLUTION IS DEFINITELY COMING ONCE AGAIN!!

Woe to those in our Government who do NOT uphold their Constitutional Oaths.

GOD HELP US!!
DearCustomer

You asked one question, which I answered. Now you are asking Isn't there a better way to get the public's attention to the concerns of the lack of understanding of our Constitution?

I'm not answering another question if you won't click Accept on my first answer.

I sympathize with your concerns but this is not a free service.