Is it legal to terminate or lower pay on the spot with no previou

Is it legal to terminate or lower pay on the spot with no previous warnings of any kind? I've been the dental hygienist for the same dentist for 13 years now. That is until last week when I felt forced to quit due to personal reasons, even though he claims differently. He called me in the end of the work day, out of the blue, and said the quailty of my work has been inadequate lately and he has grounds to fire me for that but instead he'll just cut my pay by 20% an hour and check my patients at the end of each appointment like in school. This is after 13 years of dedicated, loyal service for him.
My patients have always loved me and I take extreme pride in my work. I have to say I am very good at what I do. There has never been a complaint of any sort ever.   A month ago the daughter of the dentist I've been working for completed hygiene school and began working full time in our office. And, a little more history, the dentist i've been working for is my ex-father in law. Mahalo
Category: Business Law
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 7 years ago.
Legally the employer can do as it has done, even if it is mistaken. The exception is that it cant do so based on race, gender, or age.   That does not stop you from seeking reinstatement.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So, no prior warnings or proof necessary for him to just all of sudden change things up?
That is correct.