socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

Does the IIAR bulletin 109 apply to Cal OSHA psm regulations.

Customer Question

Does the IIAR bulletin 109 apply to Cal OSHA psm regulations. Specifically the requirement for an eye wash and deluge shower both inside and outside an ammonia engine room. We received a citation and are going to informal conference. I believe that the section cited 5161(c) does not apply. (the eye wash station is outside the self closing door to the engine room) I believe to have an eye wash station inside the ammonia system room is unsafe. I have been told there are no exceptions to the IIAR standard and that if there is a door between the eye wash station and the employee, it is considered obstructed... even if it is within 10 seconds.

I believe this is not the case and sound safety practices dictate we not put an additional eye wash station in this room.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

Ammonia is listed under 8 CCR 5194(F) as a "hazardous substance."

It would appear that secs 5161 and 5162, concerning eyewash stations, apply sec. 5194 by reference, therefore the requirements of sec 5162(c), that the station be within "10 seconds" from the injured person, applies.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.