Hello, I have completed a remodel of a retail shop in

Customer Question

I have completed a remodel of a retail shop in Alexandria Va. The guys paying me were fine when I needed to buy and install materials, but now the shop is done and ready to open they have become evaisive and not communicating and when I do get ahold of them they are vague about anything. I have filed a mechanical lien against them. Can they still open the shop up before I get paid? They owe me around $5000.00.

Category: Business Law
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 7 years ago.
The shop can be opened but you have recourse to recover your money as well.     You can make demand in writing. You can sue in small claims court, secure a judgment, place a lien and send the marshal to collect. Usually when sued, the case settles.