JPEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Experience as both in-house and outside counsel in general business and transactional law
14397910

CAN MY LICENSE BE SUSPENDED FROM AN ACCIDENT THAT HAPPENED

Customer Question

CAN MY LICENSE BE SUSPENDED FROM AN ACCIDENT THAT HAPPENED IN 2006 WHERE I HAD AN AUTO ACCIDENT AND DIDN'T HAVE INSURANCE AND THE ISSUE IS JUST NOW BEING ADDRESSED?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  JPEsq replied 5 years ago.

Are you being sued civilly now? Or did the BMV just take 3 years to send you a request for proof of insurance? Why is it just now being addressed?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

At the time of the accident, I thought I have insurance, by husband whom I was seperated from had been paying the insurance for the two years we were apart. He cancelled it a week or two before the accident, but my name was still on the policy. I didn't know I didn't have insurance. I have relocated and was just served on the 14th of August, stating I had 10 days to respond. I am being sued by Allstate who is represented by their attorney. I have a judgement agreement, but not sure wheter not to sign it because there was never a police report for the accident nor do i have pics of their vehicle. The vehicle was a porsche cayenne, but you could barlely see where i bumped the vehicle, yet i'm being sued for almost 6,000

Expert:  JPEsq replied 5 years ago.

I see. Has the dmv contacted you stating that your license will be suspended? Or are you just speculating that this will somehow get back to them?

Because whether you settle or not, is a totally separate issue from an administrative suspension

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have not been contacted from the dmv
Expert:  JPEsq replied 5 years ago.

Well as a practical matter, a civil action like this is not going to be sent to the DMV.

Usually the police notify the DMV of a ticket or no insurance. That never happened, so your license was never suspended.

Alternatively, a criminal court will send a recrod of a conviction to the DMV and they will suspend your license.

But in your case, I do not see how it will result in a license suspension, regardless of the time frame.

As to whether you should settle, if you think the damages are too high, I would at least ask for some basis. Also, if there is an argument as to whose fault the accident was, I would not agree to a judgment. The fact that you were uninsured will not be a factor in finding fault.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

So, if they take this case to court, i could still have my license suspended from an accident that far back.

Expert:  JPEsq replied 5 years ago.

No. What I am saying is that a civil case will have no effect on your license, so it is a non-issue.

Your license should not be suspended if they take this to court.