socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

I want to change 51% of ownership of my NY State C Corp to

Customer Question

I want to change 51% of ownership of my NY State C Corp to my wife (currently i hold 100%) to qualify as a Women/Minority Owned Business and get back some NY City Government work that I lost due to mayor only offering certain sized contracts to M/WBE. My wife is currently employed elsewhere - what do i have to do to show "real and continuing" ownership for her
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

Executive Law Article 15-A, Section 301 defines an M/WBE as:

1. at least 51% owned and controlled by the minority members and/or women;
  2. the minority and/or women ownership interest, is real, substantial and continuing;
  3. the minority and or women ownership has and exercises the authority to independently control the day-to day business decisions; and
  4. independently owned, operated and authorized to do business in New York State.

Factors 2-3 are discretionary, while 1-4 are statistical. Proving #2 is a matter of overcomng the obvious fact that your business will be only recently converted to women ownership, and that raises the possibility of a sham, greater than would exist with a business that had a woman in command for years -- or at least months.

Proving #3 requires evidence of the woman's day-to-day control. This would be clearly demonstrated by her knowledge ofthe business operations, strategies, goals, etc. Also, routinely signing documents, having required licenses issued in her name, etc.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I can not apply for M/WBE status until next year - the ownership has to be in place for at least one year to avoid such a sham - but until i pass that date, what i'm after is exactly what should i be doing to qualify #2 and #3 above, being that my wife will still be employed elsewhere for the forseeable future?

For liability reasons, I can't tell you what you "should" do.

However, the law requires that you be able to show that despite her full-time employment, that your wife is also employed by your corporation and regularly and continuously making the operational and/or strategic decisions of the corporation. Emails, letters, faxes, resolutions, board of directors minutes, contracts, etc., with her signature, or referring to her actions, recommendations, instructions, negotiations, etc., may go a long way to show that she is actively and regularly involved in the business.