J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced and trained in the area of business law.
15393114

I purchaced service contracts from a previous gentleman, one

I purchaced service contracts from a previous gentleman, one of the customers had a lease on equipment that they had, the previous gentleman was giving them a credit back of $399.00 a month for this lease. The client never did sign the service agreement, but for the past 12 months would accept the bill and pay as stated on the invoice. Now that the lease expired, they called to cancel the maintenance agreement without 30 day notice prior to the annual renewal date. The terms do state that 90 day average is due upon cancellation of the maintenance contract. They refuse to pay, due to the fact that they never signed such a contract. What options do i have
Category: Business Law
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 7 years ago.

Unfortunately, unless you have a signed contract or can demonstrate other express agreement to the terms you wish to enforce (e.g. oral committment), there is no legal grounds for you to assert that the comply with those contractual terms. Paying the invoices does not commit them to terms other than those presented in the invoice.

I wish I could give you more ammunition, but you would just be sending good money after bad.

Please let me know, if you have follow-up questions.

The information is provided for discussion and entertainment purposes only. I believe in helping people and answering their questions and providing information and solutions. To encourage and facilitate this practice, it is understood and agreed by the recipient that by opening, reading, accepting, and viewing this information, no attorney-client relationship has been discussed, agreed to or otherwise established. It is understood that by posting to this site, your information is made public and no attorney-client confidence is created or possible.

In legal matters, time is of the essence. As such, you should contact an experienced lawyer right away to protect your legal rights!

I appreciate your "Accepting" my answer if it has been helpful to you. Doing so allows me to continue helping in this manner. Thank you.