socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I had mistakenly purchased my own company stock put. But now

Customer Question

I had mistakenly purchased my own company stock put. But now that I realized its not allowed according to my company's insiders trading policies I am planning to square off the position tomorrow morning at the earliest.

Few metrics on the stock option.
Working State: California (H1-B visa)
Buy: $180 (08/28/2009)
Current: $230

1. Please let me know what would be the best option to get out of this?

2. Should I approach HR and let me them know I did it by mistake or should I be quiet about it as the amount is too small to get noticed?

3. Is HR obligated to report such activities to state/Fed if I were to confess to them?

4. What are the implications of the action from Fed/State laws and how vigorously do they monitor such activities?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

California Labor Code sec.s 96(k), 98.6, prohibits the termination of an employee for "lawful conduct occurring during nonworking hours away from the employer's premises."

Thus, unless you are inviolation of federal insider trading law (17 CFR sec. 240.10b5-1), then you may want to consider doing nothing and discussing the matter with no one else. Because it's none of your employer's business, regardless of its internal policies.

Note: an attorney for your employer represents the employer. So, by asking questions of that attorney, you have effectively sought the confidence of your adversary. Moreover, that attorney could be disbarred for not immediately notifying you that he/she cannot discuss the matter with you, because of the direct conflict of interest.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your response.
I did make the transaction during the working hours from my workplace.

My colleague talked to the Legal Director asking for advice in this type of situation. The Director is not aware of my involvement in this particular case.

With the above factors in mind is it advisable to just square off the stock option and not discuss it with anyone else?

I can't give you advice.

If it were me, I would just sell the stock and say nothing to anyone about it.