socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

hello and thank you, we entered into a guaranteed maximum

hello and thank you,
we entered into a guaranteed maximum price contract that was fine until we incured things that were never in the original scope of work, for instance there was no ledge we incountered aprox $60000.00 of ledge removal to facilitate the job. no lighting on the exterior of the building was on the original scope of work then the owner and architect wanted lites on the exterior. roof drains were added to the project when the architect realized that what he had on the print were not sufficent to drain the roof properly. we discovered unsuitable earth in an area ,showed it to the engener and was told to remove it a put i suitable fill for structural reasons. none of this was in the original scope of work that we bid on. your advice in this matter is greatly appreciated
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

A unilateral change in specifications entitles the builder to refuse performance until the contract is modified to include the change. If the builder makes the change without complaint, it is implied that the parties have accepted a modification based on mutual good faith.

I can't tell from your facts whether or not you have simply done the extra work without demanding additional compensation. If you have, that was a big mistake.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.