socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

Lawsuit filed Wachovia Bank Circuit Court Sarasota, Fl 12

Lawsuit filed Wachovia Bank
Circuit Court Sarasota, Fl
12 days left to answer complaint
Business Line of Credit May 2007 25K
Defaulted May 2008 amount 25K
Primary Obligor: My Company
Guarantor: Me
Personally...home is in foreclosure, investment, retirement, and savings depleted, credit cards maxed. Family of 5 meets low income guidelines.
Questions. If I close the business, which is not making much money, what ramifications might there be?
Is there a possible argument/defense due to poor loan practices of Wachovia, which led to their failure?. Said another way...If my loan application was evaluated properly, a line of credit might not have been offered.
What "ownership/responsibility" might they bare if their loan practices were faulty?
Do they need to produce the original application? Can I request it?
Want to regain financial stability without a a possible 20 year judgment on my shoulders. Thank you. Warmly, Marlene
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

The fact that the lender made bad loans doesn't justify its not collecting on those loans. You would have to show that the lender provided the loan for some wrongful purpose, such as to gain a secured interest on your home, and that it intended in advance to use the loan to try to take your property from you.

This is incredibly difficult to prove, which is why no one ever succeeds.

Your facts are a classic scenario for bankruptcy protection. Maybe you should consider the option. It will definitely get rid of the judgment.

For a bankruptcy attorney referral, see:

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, most helpful. And might you answer this please. If I close the business, which is not making much money, what ramifications might there be? Do I need to pay the loan? Not considering bankruptcy for personal reasaon.

If you personally guaranteed the loan, then the lender will hold you liable and sue for a money judgment in the amount of the remaining loan balance, plus attorney's fees and costs of suit. Which means that if you have an nonexempt assets, or earnings, they can be garnished or executed against to satisfy the judgment.

Unless you file bankruptcy.