socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

When a persons employment is terminated (fired), what personal

When a person's employment is terminated (fired), what personal information from that employee is able to be used by the employer? I was fired from a consultant firm that does audit work for health insurance companies. When I was let go, all of the access that I had for the Insurance Company's data and computer systems was not deactivated. As of today the firm is still using access which required me to provide my date of birth, SSN, and required I sign an agreement to access the Insurance Company's systems (since the systems contain untold amounts of Protected Health Information [per HIPAA]).
Thank you for your help.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

An employer is not prohibited from using an employee's personnel files after the employee is terminated, unless the information is related to the employee's health care records, which must remain confidential per federal law: Title 29 CFR 1630.14(c)(1).

However, what you are describing is the common law tort of "misappropriation of likeness/identity." A plaintiff injured by a defendant's use of plaintiff's identity or likeness can sue for any actual damages sustained, and/or for an injunction to prohibit continued use. The point being that if the employer could not have accessed the information without your access credentials, then you would be entitled to damages. But, if the insurance company would have permitted access, simply by the consulting firm's requesting new credentials, then the consulting firm is not really trading on your goodwill, and you would not have damages.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.