Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
18695994

I posted a question but did not get an acknowledgment Please

I posted a question but did not get an acknowledgment

Please note:

On March 20, 2005 the Code of Virginia regarding enforcement of judgments and foreign judgments Code 8.01-251 was amended and Code 8.01-252 was repealed (see Chapter 139 - http://leg1.state.va/cgi-DANGEROUS URL REMOVED?051+ful+CHAP0139

Please give me your opinion on the final statute of limitation on the enforcement of a foreign judgment in Virginia and the Code thereof (i.e from a different state namely New Jersey) as this is quite confusing. How many years is it and where does it say that ???

Please provide me with a precedent.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 7 years ago.
When did you obtain the judgment in NJ? Was it a default judgment or a judgment after trial or for something like summary judgment?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THE DEFENDANT IN NEW JERSEY DID NOT APPEAR IN COURT SO I SUPPOSE THAT YOU COULD CONSIDER IT A DEFAULT OR SUMMARY JUDGMENT.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
SORRY, THE JUDGMENT WAS OBTAINED IN 1989
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
SORRY AGAIN ... JUDGMENT IN NJ WAS IN 1998 AND DOMESTICATED IN VIRGINIA IN MARCH 1999
The judgment is governed by NJ law and it is entitled for full faith and credit in Virginia. Judgments are good for 20 years in NJ so you don't have an issue in VA

If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. I would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
MY QUESTION WAS SPECIFICALLY TO KNOW THE STATUTE OF LIMITATION IN VIRGINIA ON THE ENFORCEMENT OF FOREIGN JUDGMENTS AND THE CODE THEREOF, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THE JUDGMENT WAS ISSUED IN NJ OR ELSEWHERE.
PLEASE ADVICE

The statute of limitations on enforcement of foreign judgments under VA law is 20 years from the date of the judgment or domestication of such judgmet, which can be extended. See 8.01-251(a) This is subject to full faith and credit obligations which probably supercede this provision but for your purposes, the answer is 20 years.