Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

My wife and I started a business in 2001 named Competitive

My wife and I started a business in 2001 named "Competitive Edge Consultants". As I search online now I find that there are many other businesses using the "Competitive Edge" name.

We want to make the business active now that I have retired. It has been inactive to this point. Can other companies using the "Competitive Edge" name sue me? Or prevent me from using the name? Or is it generic enough (like Dave's Garage) that it is not a problem.

We will have only (2-3) clients. We will not advertise. This is a smal business to supplement my pension income. We alread have a employer ID number with the IRS using this name.

Should I re-do the application under a new name? Thanks for any advice.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.
If you register the name with your state's secretary of state as a corporation and obtain a tax ID from the IRS, you should be fine. Also, so long as you're not in direct competition with these other outfits, it should be a non-issue.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you very much for this prompt service..........David Kelley
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.
No problem and good luck.