Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

Can I invent a product, file for a patent and sell/licence

Can I invent a product, file for a patent and sell/licence the patent pending to an LLC I set up and as the LLC sell fruits of the invention and passes royalties to me the inventor I take advantage of sect 1235 as an individual inventor?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
You can do exactly what you are proposing to do and receive long term capital gain treatment on your sale and you would only have to claim the royalties paid on the patent. I am assuming you have read the IRS Code 1235, this allows an inventor to sell their patent rights and treat the sale not as a sale of inventory but as a long term capital gain. Since the LLC is a separate person for purposes of owning property, suing and being sued, your sale or transfer of the rights to the LLC is a transfer. See:

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The royalties will be taxed at 15% correct?
Correct and they are claimed on your Schedule E forms.