Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

what is the max interest rate (monthly and yearly) for a unsecured

what is the max interest rate (monthly and yearly) for a unsecured personal loan (100,000) in calif with intesest only payments with no maturity date between two individual people.
Under the CA usury laws, the maximum interest rate that can be charged on a personal loan from an individual loan is the HIGHER of 10% or 5% over the prime rate charged by the Federal Reserve Bank in San Francisco. This does not apply to financial institutions and other licensed fincance companies.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for the ans. I just need a little clearification on the int.rate. Is the 10% / 5% yarly or monthly.

It is expressed as the Annual Percentage Rate. Thus, you would calculate the annual percentage and divide it out by the payment terms of the loan.