socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

My friend and I are considering starting a LLC in our area,

My friend and I are considering starting a LLC in our area, Salt Lake City, Ut. The bases of the company would be to provide in home entertainment such as dancers and escorts for bachelor parties for example. I have read up on the pros and cons of using a LLC vs. a Corp. I am just wondering if you can tell me what legal issues we may face while starting the company. I am not sure what Utah law is on adult entertainment businesses such as this and any information you can give me would be much appreciated.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.

Utah Code secs. 59-7-101 through 108 impose a 10% tax on gross revenue, payable to the State.

There may be local ordinances that affect your rights, as well. See e.g., South Salt Lake City Code 5.59A.

There is also a high risk of injury to employees, and a risk of being sued by customers/clients, so additional liability insurance is probably a good idea.

As far as LLC vis-a-vis corporation, if you intend to maintain this venture as private business, then an LLC is far easier to manage, because you don't need to keep meeting minutes and memorialize every decision with a corporate resolution.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser, Attorney
Experience: Retired (mostly)