tswartz123, Attorney
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.

My partner and I are applying for certificat of Domain Partnership

My partner and I are applying for certificat of Domain Partnership in NYC. I do not want one of the benefits for me to be that in case my partner dies, that I would be getting his investment rights. He has all his investments now in the name of himself AND his son. Does that leave me out, I do hope.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  tswartz123 replied 7 years ago.

Domestic Partnership registration in NYC does not confer any inheritance rights to a surviving partner. So, if your partner dies, you will not get any ownership interest in his investments. Since the investments are owned by your partner and his son, the investments will go to his son upon his death.

For a full explanation of NYC Domestic Partnership registration and the rights it confers, Click Here.

I hope this answers your question.