MDLaw
MDLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Experience in business law, contract law and related matters.
16277701

On Friday July 31, 2009 9 45 am I was taken to the managers

On Friday July 31, 2009 9:45 am I was taken to the manager's office. The Store Manager Jason Wirt and Food Executive Team Lead Richard Mainey and myself were present. I was sat down and told that there were some things they needed to discuss with me. I assumed it was regarding the three punch corrections that I had in a single week. This was the first time any such thing had happened. The punch corrections were for shifts I had worked a week prior to when I was told that I was missing the clockings. I was told that day that if I didn't fill out the corrections I would not receive 24 hours worth of pay until the next paydate which would not be for another two weeks. Because so much time had passed and my superiors were constantly changing the scedules after posting, I was unsure from memory of what hours I had worked. I went to the work station to look up the times i was scheduled and put those hours down on each one of the corrections. The store manager then reminded me of the counsel
Category: Business Law
Expert:  MDLaw replied 7 years ago.
What is your question?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
was I wrongfully terminated?
Expert:  MDLaw replied 7 years ago.
What state are you in and what was the reason given for your termination?

Were you working under an employment contract?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no just an employee handbook
Expert:  MDLaw replied 7 years ago.
The default position in Arizona employment law is the at-will doctrine. What this means is that either you or your employer can terminate the employment relationship at any time for any reason or no reason at all. Therefore, based on your facts, there would not be any factual or legal basis for a wrongful termination complaint.

One of the major exceptions to the at-will doctrine is that you cannot be terminated on the basis of your age, race, gender, disability, religion, or national origin. If you are a member of one of these protected classes and you believe that the main reason for your termination was your membership in the protected class, then you can file a complaint with the EEOC - www.eeoc.gov.