wallstreetesq.
wallstreetesq., Attorney
Experience:  10 years, Corp litigation, Of Counsel to several global and nationwide corporation
16356563

I own a company in Tampa, Florida and I have already placed

I own a company in Tampa, Florida and I have already placed a lien on a hospital project in Palm Bay, Florida. According to the lien law, I have to file a lawsuit within 60 days of my notice of contest of lien that I have just received by the owners of the project. My brother owns a company in Nashville, TN and we have filed a joint lawsuit with his attorney in Tennessee with both of us as plaintiffs for this hospital project against the contractor that hired us. This is because both of our companies worked on it and both of us are trying to get monies owed to us. My company works for his company.   Does this pending lawsuit, that is filed in Tennessee with both our companies, sufficient for the requirements of the Florida lien law?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  wallstreetesq. replied 7 years ago.
Yes, Tennessee would be competent jurisdiction to sue them. The only way to extend the effect of a lien beyond a year is to file suit to enforce the lien in a court of competent jurisdiction. Then the lien remains effective until the suit is resolved. Counsel should record a notice of lis pendens in connection with the suit to enforce the lien.