socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

if i bought a property and the business owner doing business

if i bought a property and the business owner doing business on the property left and hasn't returned in over a years time, can i shut the business down and re-open in my name without his consent. I have been running the business since the day he left.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

If the owner purchased the restaurant equipment, then that equipment is still legally his, although you could petition the court to declare the property abandoned. Also, if you own the real property, you could charge the previous owner storage on the equipment, and the charges would probably be greater than the value of the equipment. So, if he ever returned, you could just hand him a bill and offer to settle it in exchange for the equipment.

As far as the DBA goes, that's just a license to use a name. It doesn't convey any other ownership rights. You can call the business whatever you want and relicense it whenever you want.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.