NYLAWLADY
NYLAWLADY, Attorney
Experience:  15 YEARS IN PRIVATE PRACTICE BUSINESS COMMERCIAL LITIGATION
19692210

I have a marine repair business in New Jersey. Two years ago

I have a marine repair business in New Jersey. Two years ago a customer did not pay his bills for repairs and I was left with boat to store. How do I get title of boat? After 2 years he calls and wants to know where his boat is?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  NYLAWLADY replied 7 years ago.
You would need to send him a certified letter return receipt requested that the property is deemed abandoned and that you will be selling this as payment on the repairs (include bill). You should at this point consult with an attorney in New Jersey to see how they would specifically deal with this since it may involve an action in court which would be more complex than just filing a form. If you gave hime a receipt when he left the boat for repairs that states that if the property is not claimed within 30 days it will be deemed abandoned, you will have less of a problem and then you might only have to file for a new title under you name.Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. It would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having assisted you. These responses don't create an attorney client relationship.