Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

To give you background I was asked by my former employer if

Customer Question

To give you background I was asked by my former employer if I was interested in taking over one of his products after he had retired and moved out of the country. All of our correspondence was via email where he told me that his wife was in town and I should pick up the computer and manufacturing equipment from her. I would be able to get the recipes from someone we both knew. When he moved out of the country he washed his hands of the business and was happy that I was willing to service his existing customer. I tried at the beginning to get a legal contract but he didn't care and stopped answering all emails. Since I realized that I wasn't going to get a formal contract I have since changed the formula, packaging and product name. I never used his company name and set up my own corporation. Here is where the problem comes in, I am applying for loan. The lawyer for the organization said that he changes I have mde are enought of a difference if this is the case why do I need anything el
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
The only thing you should do if you made significant changes in the product is obtain your own patent on it to protect yourself. The emails you have from him would be used to prove the existence of any agreement between you and him and the granting of the rights to the product to you.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What if I don't want or feel I need a patent. Isn't it enough that I have made these changes to justify that it is a different product?
You do not need a patent if you do not want one, it is for your protection. The fact that you changed it makes it your product.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is there or could there be any legal issues with the fact that I have his customer list which he told me to pick up. Is this enough grounds for them to demand a formal contract from my former boss?
No issue as long as you have the emails showing where he gave you everything and permission to use them. BotXXXXX XXXXXne is if you cannot contact him to get a formal contract, you still have a verbal contract supported by the emails.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your help.
Thank you.