Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

I own 20% of an small California corporation. I am currently

Customer Question

I own 20% of an small California corporation. I am currently unemployed and I want to go back to work at this corporation. What are my rights in case my partner (CEO) doesn't like the idea?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Just because you are an owner does not inherently give you rights to work there absent something in the corporate bylaws granting those rights to the shareholders. Thus, the party in control of the company or board of directors would have a say regarding whether or not you can work there. As a 20% owner you would likely be out voted on the idea if the bylaws call for a vote of the shareholders.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Any suggestion ?
Play nice to the CEO. Other than that, you have no recourse since you are a minority owner. There is no legal action you can bring to force them to let you work there.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
You are welcome. Thank you.