socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

Our wish is to start a non-profit tax-exempt business distributing

Customer Question

Our wish is to start a non-profit tax-exempt business distributing diapers in North Carolina. what are the steps needed to do this properly in the eyes of the law?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

The North Carolina Secretary of State Corporations Division has a FAQ that explains the process of creating a nonprofit corporation under NC law. In addition to this, you must have your corporation qualified by the IRS. See Publication 557 for details.

For a general discussion, you can refer to this publication.

If you decide that you don't want to try to "do-it-yourse," then there are a number of online businesses that will do the entire job for you at a fairly reasonable cost (e.g.,

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.