Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
18695994

the police come in every night just to see if we close. I have

the police come in every night just to see if we close. I have talked to the neighborhood representative to see if there are any noise complaints and she said no.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 7 years ago.
Are the police intefering with any of your customers? What specific question do you have?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, the police are interfering with my customers. They came in and threw 30-40 customers out of my shop and told me to close my store by 10 P.M. every night.

They also park out side of my place of business every night and intimidate any customers who might drop in late.

Are my civil rights being violated and if so what course of action can I take?
You cannot operate your shop past the established closing time. In that sense you have to abide by the rules. YOu cannot complain about the police presence if they are preventing customers from coming in after the time you are supposed be closed.

BAsed on what you have told me you are not complying with the law and therefore cannot complain about the police enforcing the law.

If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. I would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The problem is that I applied for my business license with the hours between 5 A.M. and 12 A.M. and the city aproved my license then a year and 6 months later they are telling me that I need a conditional use permit to stay open past 10 P.M.

I am in a business complex where other stores are open passed 10 P.M.
Now you have a different situation. You have the legal right to be open until 12 am. On that basis you should retain counsel and if necessary bring suit to have the police stop treating your business diferrently from other businesses within the complex and who are staying open within the licenses.

The reason that I say you need to retain counsel, is that someone will claim that you require the conditional use permit in addition to the license. The attorney will be able to do the necessary research to show that the license is sufficient and cannot have another condition addition addedm, namely the conditional use permit.