Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law

Im selling information products online in the loss mitigati

I'm selling information products online in the 'loss mitigation' sector (foreclosure/loan modification). I am an expert in this field, helping clients offline for 8 years.

Can I use a 'stage name', with an actor photograph, and talk about the success that i have had, even though i'm not using my name?

Thanks!
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 4 years ago.
Why do you want to sell under an assumed name and with a false picture?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have other buiness ventures that i want to promote with my real name, and don't want to confuse people. i know of other online marketers that have used a charachater they created (basically just a fictitous name), but all of the claims that the 'charachter' made were real accomplishments by the actual person. the one i'm thinking of was in the dog training business. i assume there's not much regulation in that industry, where advising people on stopping their foreclosure it probably regulated by the dept of real estate or some other org.

i'm relatively new to information and internet marketing and wanted to be sure that i'm not violating any laws by not using my own name to promote the product.

thanks.
You can create a corporation or LLC to operate the business. In that case the entity name would be promoted. If you use a dba that requires a filing at the county level where your real name is disclosed. You cannot use someone else's likeness as that would be deceptive.

If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. I would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i understand how creating an LLC entity entity works, and it being the legal name of the company, and that for it to be a valid entity, my (or other members) real name and contact info must be used in the articles, etc... what i'm asking is - can i, in addition to being the manager of the LLC (for instance), create a fictitous person to be the "spokesman" for the company? this is a online only venture, providing information products and ebooks.
I do not think you can create a fictitious person to be the spokes person of the organization where they are depicted as the organization. As I said, to oeprate under a dba requires that you file a certificater with the county or state which gives the dba and who the real person is behind the dba.

If you want to create a fictitous person to promote the business and make it clear that person is an actor and not a real person that is OK. What you can't do is conduct business in the name of a fictitious person and leave the public with no way to find out who the real person is that is the company.

Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience: 30 years of corporate, litigation and international law