Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

On Friday, January 16, 2009, I signed a contract for a time-share

On Friday, January 16, 2009, I signed a contract for a time-share in Loreto, Mexico, for approximately $13000, with a down payment of $3075, paid for on my VISA card. On Saturday, January 17, 2009, I asked the salesman to cancel the contract and return my papers. His reply was that I would lose the $3075 and refused to give me the paperwork. I tried to get help with this problem but it was a weekend and the following Monday was a holiday. On Tuesday January 20, 2009, I filed a merchant dispute over this and VISA finally agreed to remove the $3075 charge from my account after about 4 months. Just recently, VISA decided in favor of the merchant and told me that the $3075 would be put back on my account. My question is what to do next? I clearly was not interested in the time share the day after signing the paperwork but was unable to get the contract cancelled. What do you say?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Unfortunately, if they are in Mexico and that is where the transaction took place, you will have to sue there unless your contract with them has a specific choice of law/choice of forum clause. You also need to read your contract about the cancellation clause If they will not provide the contract to you, then I am afraid you would end up having to get an attorney in Mexico and sue them there.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”