Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

I am the loss payee on a automobile ins. policy . I have repossed

I am the loss payee on a automobile ins. policy . I have repossed the vehicle with significant damage , The ins co. claims policy was revoked 12 days prior to accident, but no notice was ever received. Is the ins co. liable for the damage claim . I am in ny state
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
No, the company is not liable for damage if they have revoked the policy, but they are liable for sending a notice of revocation. Absent notice of the revocation on the policy to the policy holder (not the loss payee if they are different) then you have a possible claim against them, but if they sent notice to the polcy holder then you would not have a claim and they are not liable, the policy holder would be liable to you for the damages.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the ins co never sent notice of revocation , what are my options
Then your options are to sue claiming that absent notice the revocation should not be allowed, since the policy holder would have no way of knowing of revocation of the contract without the notice.